Sunday, January 23, 2011

Contentment

My husband and my son are easily my favorite people. I love the little family we have created. In my opinion, we do life well together. We have learned to communicate openly, learn from each other and grow with each other.
Since Sam was born my husband and I have worked very hard to keep alternating work shifts so one of us can be home raising our son. Creating these schedules and still fitting in family time is not an easy task. However, I look at it as a blessing. We have been given a gift that most people receive too late in life. That gift is learning to enjoy each moment and soak up the moments you want to remember forever.
I think we all struggle with wanting more. Which is natural and ok. However, if that consumes your mind and you can't focus on what you have then there is a problem. Contentment has always been a problem for me. I have had many growth points in this area in the past couple years. One of those was just yesterday...
The Murphy house is currently battling colds. Sam has the seal-like cough attacks that signal croup. Seeing my son exhausted, congested and struggling to breath is heartbreaking. Add to that, me fighting the same congestion and Ryan working all weekend and you get one very emotional Elyse. After a long day of blowing noses, checking temperatures, warming honey and preparing steam rooms I was exhausted. When Sam had finally fallen asleep, Ryan came home and I was off to go grocery shopping. At the end of the day, I looked around and realized the house was clean, the pantry was full and my family was home. I took a moment to soak up the contentment.
It is no secret that Ryan and I would love to have more children. It is also no secret that we went through many, many struggles to have Sam. In the background yesterday was the soothing voice reminding me that I have many, many blessings. Do not ignore those to focus on the possibility of more.

What else I am doing today...
Today I am just focusing on "doing it now". Picking stuff up and doing some cleaning when I have a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment