Monday, January 3, 2011

Homemade Croutons

I love croutons. In my family we eat them as crackers, and when we have homemade croutons in the house we generally munch on them throughout the day. They are so simple to make, and the homemade version taste SO much better then what you buy at the store. I make these every couple weeks, I would make them more often if we could stop ourselves from eating them!

Preheat oven to 400*

Start with some stale bread (yes, you read that right, delicious and a great way to use up old bread!)

Cut it up into bite size pieces.

Place the bread on a baking sheet lined with foil.

Drizzle bread with olive oil. I use olive oil that comes in spray form similar to cooking spray, this works great for getting an even thin coating of olive oil.

Now comes the important part. Seasoning. It is important to not skimp on the seasoning, if you do, you will end up with toast not croutons.

Sprinkle granulated garlic and seasoning salt generously over the bread pieces. You should use the same amount of both and the top of the bread should be completely covered. Then lightly sprinkle with pepper.

Cook in oven for about 10 minutes, or until bread is toasted. Time may vary depending on how big the bread pieces are. Once pieces are toasted stir them around, turning most of them over. Add another thin layer of garlic, seasoning salt and pepper. Toast for another 2-3 minutes.

When done the bread will be completely toasted and crunchy.

Tonight we ate these croutons on caesar salad as a side to lasagna. Yum!


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. These look really good! I've always wanted to make croutons (and I know they are easy), but I've been too lazy ;-)

    You make this whole from scratch thing look so effortless. Keep up the awesome work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that the bag of croutons sitting open on the counter when I am there, isn't a good idea. Because, they are so incredibly delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention, store these in an air tight container (we use a gallon ziplock bag) and they will last for several weeks. Actually I have never had them go bad before we could eat them.

    ReplyDelete