Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cleaning up our dirty little secrets...2

The thing I was dreading the most about organizing our kitchen was our pantry. Every time I try to organize the shelves it seems like they return to the crazy clutter within a month. I was getting tired of putting in the work when it only lasted a short time, so I let it get out of control. Keeping our new motto in mind I decided to just “get it done”. I did it alright, a complete overhaul. Here it is step-by-step:
First, I took everything out of the pantry (took 10 minutes)
Second, wiped down the shelves with a damp rag (took 2 minutes)
Third, filled a bag with food to donate. If you haven't done this in a while you may have more then a bag, we were just visited by the local boy scouts, so one bag was perfect. (took 4 minutes)
Next, consolidate any items that we had more then one package for. This step is what freed up the most space, we happened to have 3 jars of peanut butter, all less then half full, that's just one example of what I consolidated. I also put rice, lentils, quinoa and beans in large glass jars instead of storing them in the original packaging. This will also encourage me to buy these items in bulk. (took 15 minutes)
Then, put everything back in the pantry. Make sure to put all similar items together. For example, put pastas and rice together, snacks together, canned items together. I also put healthy items in front of those that aren't as good for us. For example, putting oatmeal and peanut butter in front of cold cereals or putting whole wheat pasta in front of enriched pasta. This way when we are looking for something to eat we see healthy choices first. I also put items that I only use together in plastic shoe containers. For example, baking items such as baking soda, extracts, organic sugars or paper/plastic products such as napkins, plates and forks. (took 20 minutes)
I took my time with this to make sure that how I was organizing was realistic and would be easy to maintain. Some of these steps can be completed in much less time then I took, I encourage you to do something, even if it is just one step. I am so happy with our finished product and it encourages me to get in the kitchen!

What else I am doing today:
-Made a “bed” out of a cereal box for Sam to use with his stuffed animals. He learned how to put his favorite monkey “nigh nigh”.
-Rake more leaves to add an extra layer on top of my garlic, getting ready for the cold weather tonight.
-Add to and rotate compost bin.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get those shelves that are above your canned goods? Those look great and would be helpful with the deep cupboards I have in my pantry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tristan, I got the shelves at Ikea (5.99 each). They are very sturdy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am encouraged. I have sorted my pantry but putting bulky things in jars in genius. I also plan on making cute labels for each jar. That is my project for today.

    ReplyDelete