Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chores or Play?

I have been convicted in my thinking towards housework.
Somehow, somewhere I picked up the idea that housework was an option.
When I have a free moment I think “should I do housework or should I do something fun?” Well that is a no brain-er. Of course I am going to choose something fun!
What I didn't even consider is that housework is not an option!
The laundry needs to be done, the floors need to be mopped, the toilet needs to be cleaned.
I need to stop weighing housework against something more fun and just do it!
Didn't our mamas teach us that our chores have to be done before we can play?
Have you considered that when you choose not to do the housework you are asking somebody else to do it? It needs to be done. So if you don't do it, who is going to? Your husband? Your kids? Your mom when she comes to visit?
I believe that everybody in the house should have a role in the cleaning, but you have to set the example. If you set the example of reading, crafting, computer-time, whatever instead of housework that is what your family will do too.
I know from experience when I read, craft or play with Sam it is easier to enjoy when the chores are done. So now when I have some free time I spend 5, 10 or 15 minutes getting some chores done then jump in wholeheartedly to a fun activity.
My challenge for myself this year is to “Get stuff done”, with my new attitude towards housecleaning I think this is going to be much easier.

Are there chores you have been procrastinating on? Get up right now, set a timer for 5 minutes and do one!

What else I am doing today:
-Trying my hand at homemade Biscotti. It is in the oven now and oh my does it smell good!
-Spending 15 minutes organizing our important papers.
-Getting rid of 15 things from our “spare/office/craft/junk room”

No comments:

Post a Comment