Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cleaning up our dirty little secrets...1

`Ok, here we go.

A couple weeks ago I shared a few of our dirty little secrets, now the work of cleaning them up begins. 

I started by organizing the catch-all cabinet by our microwave and oven.

Here is what we started with...


Because this cupboard is centrally located it should be designated for things that are frequently used and needed in a hurry.  Things such as oils, vinegars, salt and pepper.  As you can see this was originally my intention but then it began overflowing with things that can be stored elsewhere.  

I began by removing all of my baking items and putting them in a container to be placed in my pantry.  Generally, I only use these items together.  So I can easily grab the container, use the items I need then put them all away together.  This will also stop me from making several pantry trips during baking or rummaging through this catch-all cupboard for vanilla extract. 

My next step was to remove empty bottles and containers or combine half-full containers.

Then I removed stray spices that should be in my spice drawer.  When I did this I got distracted by my spice drawer (haha).  This drawer is at toddler level and often gets raided by little fingers.  My theory has always been, they are only spices for the most part they are inexpensive and they are not harmful.  However, the little fingers have been slowly turning this organized drawer into spice soup.  The bottles have been tipped over, shuffled around and some of them are missing their tops.   To remedy this situation I placed all my spices in a tin container that has a tight fitting lid.  Now while I am cooking I can remove the lid, use what I need and then return the lid during kitchen clean-up.  This will stop little fingers from shuffling around these spices during kitchen down-time. 

Sam has recently learned that he can open the column of drawers in our kitchen and use them as steps up to the kitchen counter.  Since the tin container is almost the same size as the drawer, it has stopped him from stepping into this particular drawer.  I will consider that one step in the right direction.  (pun intended, haha)

Ok, so after removing all the unnecessary items and rearranging what is left here is what we have...


Much better!  It is clean, clutter-free and we don't have to remove 10 things to find what we are looking for.

Here are some usable tips for your kitchen:

1) Keep oils and vinegars within arms reach while cooking and preparing food.

2) Keep spices in a dark, dry place also within arms reach of cooking and preparing food.  I have found a drawer works perfectly for this, just make sure to label the lids of all your spices.  This will ensure you can find what you need with a quick glance.  Spice racks may seem handy and attractive sitting on your counter but the truth is when your spices are exposed to light and heat their flavor does not last as long.  What is the point of flavorless spices?

I hope this helps!

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading your writings,, you are so good with words. And inspirational also!

    ReplyDelete