Thursday, March 10, 2011

Family Update

February was a month of transition and change for our family. Hence, the break from blogging. We spent our "Free Time" seeking our Father's direction and wisdom. We haven't yet emerged from this season, but things seem to be calming down.
The most notable transition was me resigning from my position at Multnomah University. This was a bittersweet transition. I will miss the rewarding work and the community, however this transition is allowing me the opportunity to stay at home with my sweet boy. As you can imagine, or may have experienced, there are a lot of things to consider and a lot of added stress when making a decision such as this. I am thankful for my patient husband and the clear voice of God as we considered each element.
This was a transition we have been waiting for since Sam was born. The first day I returned to work from maternity leave and had to leave my sweet baby I knew I was not cut out for working away from the home. Almost 2 years later leaving never got easier. Each time Sam was sick, grumpy or got an "owie" I would beat myself up for not being there. I would beat myself up for being distracted at work. I would beat myself up for expecting my exhausted husband to raise our son 90% of the time.
I have always been Queen of burning the wick at both ends. During high school I worked full-time each summer and up to 35 hours/week during the school year. I struggled to do well in school and keep friends. During college I continued to work full-time and took up to 20 credits each semester. My relationships were non-existent, but I was determined to make the most of my education and spent every spare moment earning my 3.9 GPA. Now, as a wife and mom, something had to give.
I don't believe God wants us to be idle, however he doesn't want us over-exerted and useless either.
I applaud the moms who can work full-time and still be connected at home. For me, it wasn't working.
I am preparing myself, just in case this is a temporary scenario, in the meantime be prepared for much more writing and many new home experiments!

What else I am up to today:
- Sam has a "Cookie Date" with his 2nd cousin (??) Lilah.
- Tested out the "mom 2 mom" group at Good Shepherd.
- Write down a simple morning and evening routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment