Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What I am thankful for...

In July 2009, my first birthday as a mother, Ryan gave me a scrapbook filled with pictures of our first month with Sam. There is our first picture as a family, taken as the doctors were patching me up from an emergency C-section. There are pictures of Sam’s stay in the NICU, his first pictures in his new world, his face covered in tubes to help him breath and eat, pictures of him getting progressively better then, eventually, of him illuminated in blue from the Billi-blanket to heal Jaundice, the last thing he had to conquer before coming home. There are pictures from our first outings as a family, complete with wires from Sam’s heart-rate monitor (which was cause for stress and tension every waking and sleeping moment as we adjusted to parenthood).
Then the priceless pictures of him wire and tube-free, exploring his new world like any other infant.
About a month ago Sam found this scrapbook. It has been his favorite “story” book every day since. He loves looking at the pictures, pointing out “mama”, “dada” and “samsam” as we retell him the story.
He doesn’t understand what great obstacles he overcame at a very young age. He doesn’t understand that his infancy was any different than other kids. He doesn’t understand the priceless lessons he taught “mama” and “dada” as he fought his battles.
Sam is quickly becoming a little man. Each day needing less and less of “mama” and “dada”. As this transition happens it makes me marvel at what we have walked through, how much we have grown and the lessons we have learned.
Each time Sam brings me the scrapbook, gives me his best smile and vigorously rubs his chest “please” I cannot help but be overwhelmed with thankfulness. I am thankful for the blessing of witnessing God’s miracles as he healed Sam. I am thankful for an amazing, happy and healthy little man. Most of all, I am thankful for a loving and faithful God whose grace has proved to be more than enough.
I am confident that God has amazing plans for Sam. I hope that as we retell Sam the story of his battles, and most importantly his victory over them, that God will plant an amazing purpose in him to use this story for God’s glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment