Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 Recap

2010 was the year of “Being Green” for the Murphy Family. We made several resolutions as a family all revolving around being aware of our actions and how these actions effect our bodies and our world. We made some big steps in the right direction and decided this will be a continual effort as we really enjoyed using our resources wisely and seeing the effect this had on our outlook and our monthly bills.

The first thing we changed was adding a large garbage can in our kitchen to be used for recycling. Before, we were making trips to the garage every time we had something to recycle. We found that this wasn't practical and when in a hurry we would just throw stuff away instead of taking the time to recycle. In a year, we have found that we are now recycling more then we are throwing away.

The second thing we changed was making a weekly menu plan and sticking to a grocery list when shopping. How is this a “green” step? First, we are not buying food we will not eat so we have less waste. Second, we cut our grocery bill in half, this allows us to purchase mostly organic and support companies who are furthering our efforts. While making our weekly menus we plan on having leftovers for lunches, this also cuts our consumption and provides more nutrition instead of the boxed or frozen “quick-meals” that we were eating.

The third thing we did was install a rain barrel. Harvesting rain will allow us to decrease our water usage in the spring and summer. Also, I have been intrigued to see the benefits of using rain water to water your indoor plants. Less water used and added nutrients. Win, win!

The final thing we did was start a compost bin. This is something that I have been interested in, but, frankly, I was afraid to take the step! Seems like it would turn into a huge rotting pile of grossness. However after 6 months of research I decided to take the leap. We have been composting for 3 weeks, adding and rotating our bin every 3-4 days. So far, so good! I cannot wait to see the benefits this adds to my garden this summer!

Now I know some of you are asking, “Why?” I am not disillusioned enough to believe that our efforts are going to save the planet or reverse decades of bad decisions. Honestly, my motives have nothing to do with global warming or the ozone layer. I put my time and effort into these things for 2 reasons: First, I want to do what is best for my family. For me this means avoiding chemicals and additives that cause rashes, headaches and bloating (just to name a few). Our family has noticed a huge change in these things since using natural products and remedies. Second, I believe that God has blessed us with every resource we have. It is important to me to use these resources wisely. Whether it is our income or the abundance of rain we get in the northwest, we can use these things to provide for our happy and healthy families.

I am very proud of the changes we have made in 2010. We have grown individually and as a family. We are moving forward in God's calling for us and have found more purpose in our everyday lives. I believe that 2011 will bring just as much growth and purpose. I am excited to see where we will be this time next year.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are doing great! I'm hoping when I have we have our own place (not renting) we can start taking more outdoor steps as well. At least I have someone to discuss these things with :-)

    ReplyDelete