Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Tree

As the holidays are quickly approaching I have begun searching for the perfect holiday traditions.   

This has become no small feat.  I am looking for something that is unique, that will teach the meaning of the holiday, and that breaks away from the American "Norm" and focuses on our family values.

In my search I found several variations of "Thanksgiving Trees".   I loved this idea for several reasons, one being that Sam can participate!

We started off with a tree trunk cut from construction paper and then started cutting leaves from different colors of construction paper.  On the leaves we wrote things we are thankful for during this season.  Sam helped by coloring a few of the leaves.  We added leaves for about a week, as we thought of things to be thankful for.  

Here is what we ended up with:


It is on the mirrors by our front door.  Maybe this will set the scene of thankfulness as our family comes to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday!

Some of the things we are especially thankful for this year:

Jobs, Family Time, Sam's giggles, Indoor plumbing, Warm house, Hot coffee, Health, Family to spend the holidays with, Full pantry, Healthy relationships and the ability to give.

In our efforts to bring more scripture into our home, we added a bible verse, which you will see on the right side of the tree.  I have been studying Colossians this month and have really been challenged with things I take for granted, and living a life of thankfulness.  It is amazing how your perspective changes when you search for something to be thankful for in every situation.  I love that as I pass the tree each morning I am reminded of the scripture God gave us and to be thankful throughout the day.  

I hope this inspires you to get creative and to live a life of thankfulness!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment