Saturday, April 16, 2011

1000 gifts

I have been following a few blogs in which the writers are practicing the art of being thankful. They are doing this by following the example of Ann Voskamp and her book “1000 Gifts”. I have yet to read this book but I have heard rave reviews. Essentially, the challenge is to change your perspective and cultivate a heart of thankfulness by making a list of 1000 gifts or moments you are thankful for.

I have been mulling over this idea for a few months. After a night of grouchy Sam, temper tantrums and pure exhaustion I found myself at my wits end. I resorted to yelling and being too hard on my sweet boy. After the shame subsided I quickly made the decision to change my perspective and start my list of 1000 gifts.

I thought I would share a few items from my list and maybe a few pictures along the way.

# 1 A healthy pregnancy


#2 Warm tea on a stormy night


#3 The messes of an active toddler


#4 Soothing a tired and cranky toddler


#5 Prayers for my sons future


#6 Being able to hold and love my sweet boy


This is just a start, but I can already see the change of perspective. Maybe you are not interested in committing to 1000 gifts. I challenge you to write down 4 or 5. It is amazing what a attitude of thankfulness can accomplish.


What else I am up to today...

  • I am working at staying on top of housework while battling morning sickness and fatigue. Each day this looks different. Today it was setting a timer for 15 minutes, every 15 minutes I got up and picked up the house for 3 minutes. Sounds silly but it kept me moving and I had a sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment