Saturday, October 23, 2010

Walking through trials

I believe that God made trials. I believe that God has a pure desire to see us become the best version of ourselves, this is done through trials. Many people bend or break under the pressure, not realizing that when they break or give up God has to start again. Generally, this involves going through the same type of trial.
So what should our reaction be? The bridge of the song “The Stand” by Hillsong has stuck with me all week:
I'll stand, with arms high and heart abandoned.
In awe of the one who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul Lord to you surrendered.
All I am is Yours.

I believe that when we surrender ourselves to him and allow him to work on our imperfections he will return a product that is pure and reflects him.

The odd part about it all is this: as humans (or maybe just me) when we are in the midst of trials our first reaction is to run or hide. It is as if we are begging somebody to take the burden. Maybe that is because that is what we were made to do.

We were not meant to deal with life's difficulties on our own. We were not meant to shoulder the burden. God walks us through trials so that we can turn to him. When we are in the midst of pain God is there waiting for us to reach out to him. He is waiting for us to offer him the pain, trials and burdens.

One thing I have been working on recently is trusting the facts more then my feelings. I can be a very emotional person and my heart comes up with all sorts of feelings. Sometimes, these feelings are created out of anger, hurt or sin. These feelings should not be treated as fact. For example, when Ryan doesn't thank me for the extra work I put into to cleaning the house. This makes me feel like he doesn't appreciate me or my efforts. When I am having a really bad day I can even convince myself that he doesn't love me. But those are merely feelings. The fact is that Ryan loves and appreciates me very much and does a great job expressing that. Now how does this relate to God and this song...when I sing the words “heart abandoned” I am picturing abandoning all of my “feelings” that may have been hindering my relationship with God. (please note: this is just my interpretation). For example, God walked me through some intense trials this week. My feelings were telling me that I should be mad at God. My feelings were telling me that if God was a loving father he would not have allowed these things to happen. However, these are feelings, not facts! The facts are that God loves me so deeply that I will never fully understand. He has shown me this countless times in my walk with him. So as I sing this song this week I am pushing aside all of the feelings of anger, pain and worry and I am focusing on the facts:
-God sees me as an amazing, strong women
-God is molding me into a women who will impact the next generation for Him.
-God will use this pain to sculpt me to be more like Him.
-God will use these trials to complete his ultimate plan.

Are you confusing feelings for facts? I challenge you to consider this next time you are walking through a trial, whether it is with God or with your husband.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. You are very honest with things you have learned through your walk with God and it is awesome to be able to read them and get to know you better.

    You are all of the things mentioned above. You are also a woman with a compassionate heart who knows when to listen and when to give advice. Just know that you are loved and appreciated by me as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tristan! I appretiate your friendship and am so thankful that God blessed me with a friend who understands my trials.

    ReplyDelete